Q: What is mold?
A: Mold is tiny microscopic organisms that digest organic matter and reproduce by releasing spores. Mold is a type of fungi and there are over 1,000 species. In nature, mold helps decompose or break-down leaves, wood and other plant debris. Mold becomes a problem when they go where they are not wanted and digest materials such as our homes.
Q: What should I do after a fire?
A: Call your insurance agent immediately. Ask about restoration companies that can help with the cleanup. Check into companies for boarding up windows and other construction.
Q: What can cause a fire?
A: These are the main causes of fires as of 2015; Cooking, Unintentional Carelessness, Open Flames, Electrical Malfunction and Other Heat Sources.
Q: What should I do if I have water in my basement?
A: The appropriate treatment depends on the nature of the damage. Some water carries contaminants and should be considered hazardous. Ventilate the wet areas, take up saturated rugs and carpet, transport electronics to a dry area, give your local restoration service a call and also call your insurance agent.
Q: Are partially sewage-flooded basements safe?
A: Not unless contaminated areas can be sealed off to prevent cross-contamination of other areas. Only trained professionals using specialized equipment are qualified to restore sewage damage.
Q: Does chlorine bleach decontaminate sewage?
A: While bleach is a remedy, it’s quickly inactivated by sewage. Even dead fungi and bacteria may contain chemicals that cause an allergic response. Affected areas should be cleaned thoroughly, followed by appropriate disinfectant applications.
Q: Is sewage from oceans, lakes or rivers is clean?
A: This water contains contaminants such as microorganisms, bacteria, and pesticides. Trapped inside walls or under floor coverings, it doesn’t take long to become a “smelly” health hazard.