When Is Mold Remediation Necessary?
Causes & Signs of Mold
Any time mold is spotted or present in your home, we recommend remediation. The first step to preventing a mold infestation is to know what causes it. If you’re not aware of these risks, you’re more likely to experience a buildup of mold in your home. However, it is possible to spot the signs of mold growth yourself. You can look for dark spots on walls or ceiling tiles. Mold thrives in damp, moist environments and feeds on organic materials, such as wood and paper. If left unchecked, it can spread and cause discoloration, a musty smell in the home, and even physical symptoms similar to allergies or a cold.
Common Causes of Mold
- Leaky air conditioning ducts and joints.
- Washing Machines and other appliances using water.
- Vinyl wallcoverings – especially in warm environments can trap moisture.
- Water heaters and other plumbing issues
- Poorly ventilated bathrooms
- Foundation leaks or cracks around windows
Common Signs of Mold
- Physical allergy-like symptoms
- runny nose and congestion
- eye irritation
- sneezing, coughing, sore throat
- Warped walls or drywall
- Visibile, black or colored spots and discoloration on walls and ceilings
- Musty (old book) damp smell in rooms or coming from vents
After assessing the extent of the problem, a mold remediation team may apply a biocide, which is an EPA-approved chemical that will kill mold spores. The biocide will be applied over the affected area for a night before taking effect. The next day, the team will apply a special coating to prevent future infestations of the mold. Ideally, this coating will last a year, and you’ll only have to pay for the remediation process once.
If you need mold removal or mold remediation service in the Wichita, KS area contact Stover’s Restoration for a quote.