Stover's Restoration

Receive a FREE Consultation

Insurance Preferred Restoration Specialists. Fast & Friendly Service.

Four Warning Signs Of Future Electrical Fires

Fires are arguably the most dangerous and devastating of all disasters that can happen to your home. One of the most common causes of house fires is electrical fires. Unlike other causes of fires, electrical fires are easier to see coming. There are many different indications that your home may be at risk for an electrical fire. Here are four of those warning signs according to our restoration experts at Stover’s Restoration in the Wichita area.

The Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Your circuit breaker tripping is more than an annoying inconvenience. It can actually be an indication that you have serious electrical problems that can lead to a fire. Your circuit breaker is there to stop the flow of electricity to your home to prevent a circuit from overheating; thus, preventing an electrical fire. This means that if your circuit breaker is tripping regularly, that your circuits are coming close to overheating. Instead of just relying on your circuit breaker to do the work of keeping you safe, you should quickly seek to identify the source of the overheating and resolve the problem.

Aluminum Wiring

Back in the 1960’s and 1970’s it was common to wire homes with aluminum wiring. The problem with aluminum wiring is that it expands and contracts in sync with temperature changes. This is problematic because the contraction and expansion causes loose wire connections which is a serious fire hazard. If you have aluminum wiring, you should have it replaced with copper wiring as soon as possible.

A Burnt Or Charred Smell Coming From Outlets

Do you smell a burnt smell in your home but you can’t tell where it’s coming from? Chances are you have a short circuit, possibly caused by a loose connection or old, faulty wiring. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that short circuits are the main causes of home electrical fires. You should respond quickly if you detect a burnt smell since it only takes one spark in the wrong place to start a fire.

You Live In An Old Home

Most of the electrical problems within a home that lead to fires are a product of an old house. Old homes have old wiring which makes them an easy target for electrical fires. If you live in an old house, you should have your home inspected by an experienced electrician at regular intervals so they can check for any potential hazards. Beyond that, you should be more aware and alert to any potential electrical issues.

It is worth doing everything in your power to prevent a fire from damaging your home. While not all causes of fire damage are easily preventable, electrical fires are. By doing your best to notice any potential issues and then take action as soon as noticing them you can almost totally eliminate the threat of electrical fires occurring in your home. However, if you ever do suffer from fire damage of any degree, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Stover’s Restoration in Wichita. Our restoration professionals can come right out to help you restore the damage.