Stover's Restoration

Receive a FREE Consultation

Insurance Preferred Restoration Specialists. Fast & Friendly Service.

Winter House Fires

Fire Damage Cleanup Services Wichita, Fire Damage Cleanup WichitaThe coldest time of the year is actually the most dangerous for house fires. According to a study by the United States Fire Administration, even though the total number of fires decreases during the winter months, the number of “structural fires” rises. There are a number of different reasons for this.

The most common causes of winter home fires are:


Cooking is the leading cause of home fires all year long. In the winter, people tend to cook more and for longer periods. Deep-fryers used for cooking turkeys and other holiday meals cause proportionality more fires (and injuries.)


Home heating is the second leading cause of U.S. home fires, deaths and injuries. Space heaters are involved in about 40% or winter fires. Common causes of space heating home fires are lack of regular cleaning, failure to give heaters sufficient space and placing them too close to combustibles; basic flaws in the design of wood-burning heating equipment; and fuel spills.


Over the last decade, candle fires have tripled; more than 40% of U.S. home candle fires begin in the bedroom. Interestingly, in one-third of all fatal home candle fires, the candles were being used for light because the power to the home had been shut off due to nonpayment or a temporary power outage. But Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day are the peak days from home candle fires.

Christmas Trees

Christmas trees become increasing flammable as they dry out in your home; nearly 40 percent of home fires that begin with Christmas trees occur in January.  The leading type of equipment involved in the ignition of Christmas trees were lights, cords, and plugs.


Winter storms can lead to downed power lines, prompting homeowners to resort to alternative heating methods that could spark fires. The improper use of portable generators can be risky with most common dangers are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electrical shock or electrocution, and fire hazards.  


Electrical home fires are a leading cause of home fires. Roughly half of all home electrical fires involved electrical distribution or lighting equipment, while nearly another half involved other known types of equipment like washer or dryer fans and portable or stationary space heaters. More time at home in the winter increase the overall incidences.

Stover’s Restoration Serves South Central Kansas

For over 30 years, Stover’s Restoration has been one of the most trusted and respected names in fire restoration in south-central Kansas. A commitment to ongoing training, customer service, and innovative tools set them apart in the industry. Stover’s can offer gentle processes that are FDA approved, non-toxic, non-sparking, non-flammable, non-hazardous, and environmentally safe for your home.

In an emergency, trust the experts in fire, water, mold clean up and debris removal. Our team is ready to provide state of the art services for your home and business. Contact us at any time at (316) 712-5696 or visit