Mold growth inside your home or business can be concerning. As mold travels into our homes and businesses, the normal levels of mold spores spike and can cause mold and mildew buildup and result in structural damage and respiratory issues. Because mold grows and occurs naturally, it’s impossible to fully eradicate it; that’s why you need a certified specialist, trained to treat and remove mold growth from your property.
Mold grows in dark areas with high humidity and can be the result of an underlying condition, such as water damage. Mold can grow in areas that can’t be seen and can present itself with a musty, foul, earthy smell and a discoloration of surfaces.
Porous material such as carpeting, insulation, drywall, etc., that have been wet for more than 24-48 hours and can’t be thoroughly cleaned and dried can be a breeding ground for mold and mildew growth. Not only can mold damage your property, but exposure to mold can cause respiratory issues and allergic reactions, which can negatively impact the health and air quality of your home or business. For individuals with allergies or asthma, the slightest increase in mold levels can cause a flare up of respiratory symptoms and sensitivities.
While you may not be able to eliminate all sources of mold on your property, you can take steps to prevent mold and mildew build up. Some steps you can take are:
This is especially prevalent in bathrooms and kitchens. You can reduce moisture levels by using ventilation fans, dryers and dehumidifiers to force moisture outdoors. If there are areas in your home or business that are high in moisture, it’s best not to install carpet flooring as the mold can grow in the fibers, and moisture can be trapped in the padding, backing and fibers. Work to reduce the humidity in the air and repair any water damage as to not further exacerbate the problem.
Mold can grow on any surface as long as moisture is present. In order to prevent condensation buildup on cold surfaces, you can add insulation around windows, piping and walls can help keep surfaces dry.
If you find traces of mold growth, you can use bleach cleaners to kill the spores on hard surfaces. Porous surfaces or absorbent materials will need to be replaced if they can’t be fully cleaned and dried. Do not mix bleach with ammonia or other cleaners as it can create dangerous toxic fumes and chemicals.
If you suspect mold growth in your residential or commercial property, it’s important to contact a certified professional to remove mold from your property. At Stover’s Restoration, we’re committed to helping you get your life back to normal as quickly as possible. Our technicians are trained with the proper remediation tools and techniques to remove mold damage safely and effectively and will implement solutions to prevent mold from growing again on your property.